14 Inch Rims

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 14 Inch Rims
From: "Daniel Parrott" <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:07:51 -0400
Ive replaced my too-high springs with a set of lower MkIII springs to bring
down the nose-up attitude of my 1980 Spit.  So I thought that, while Im
at it, (in addition to a small financial windfall ;-) ) I might as well
upgrade my rims and tires.  So the question, is it worth it to upgrade to14
inch rims?  If so, what will fit the lower profile?  Id hate to find out by
trail by error.

Im looking at various tire/rim calculations from various websites, and I
dont see much information regarding the maximum width/heights of tires for
MKIII or 1500 Spitfires.  I sense that there is a maximum tire height
(overall diameter) of around 22 inches and a maximum width of around 6
inches), just from random feedback, before tire wells have to be modified.
Is this true?  Is it worth it to move up to 14 inch rims?  Or should I just
go for stock?  BTW, I see only touring and weekend romps (no racing) in my
Spitfires future.  TIA.

Dan Parrott
Savannah, Ga