Re: Making a Spit bonnet fit a GT6

To: luckyone@sentex.ca ("Steven W. Reilly"), spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Making a Spit bonnet fit a GT6
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:34:20 -0500
Nolan wrote:
> >Locate a rusted up GT6 bonnet and use the center panel....

Steve replied:

> This is true; I've got a GT6 bonnet where the only UNrusted piece is the
> Central hump, every other panel is pretty much unsalveageable.  I'm saving
> it for a Spit6 project......

Several years ago, a friend and I "rescued" a very rusty but mostly complete
"Mk1" GT6 from a junkyard, where it had spent a dozen or so years atop a shed
roof (go figure)! We wondered about the early Spitfire 4 grille -- complete --
on the bonnet, until we realized that it was actually a Spitfire 4 bonnet! Some
PO apparently had damaged the GT6 bonnet beyond repair, salvaged the "bump" and
grafted it (poorly but effectively, using mostly filler) onto the Spitfire
bonnet after crudely carving the appropriate opening.

Guess what's now the only salvageable part of THAT bonnet? Yep, the "bump"! Now
I've had engines and other bits that have outlasted more than one car, but this
might be some sort of weird record.... ;-)

--Andy Mace