RE: Hesitation

To: "'Martin Pearce'" <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Hesitation
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@COX.NET>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:28:20 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Martin Pearce
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 7:38 AM
To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Hesitation

Bit of advice guys pls.

My '63 Spit4 has been fine recently, and a real pleasure to drive.  Have
started to notice some slight hesitation when accelerating, usually
around
45-50mph.  She is fine at lower speeds.

Have checked the spark plugs and they are ok.  Carbs could be out
slightly I
suppose, but if it was that then the problem should be there all the
time?
Fuel must be getting through otherwise I would have problems at all
speeds.

Only started noticing the problem after filling up with fuel.  I wonder
if it
was a bad batch?  Am using unleaded with a fuel supplement as she has
not be
converted to unleaded.  I'm pretty positive I added the supplement at
fill
up.

Where next????

Martin
'63 Spit4

Martin,
Check to see if your tank is well vented.  If you notice the problem
just after filling up, it may be starving for fuel because there is not
a layer of air that will buffer the fuel demand.  Next time it starts
hesitating, reach back and pop the fuel cap and see if that solves the
problem.  If som check the vent hole in the cap to see if it is
partially plugged.

Joe