Re: Hoping to come back from the dead..

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hoping to come back from the dead..
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:52:00 EDT
Winnie asked:

> What year spit bodies will accept my '79 engine. Can I get it fairly
> easily
> into a '68 spit?

Joe replied:

> ALL OF THEM!  Since the engines all spring from a common design, you can
> interchange them freely.

To elaborate just a bit, your engine will bolt into a '68 Spitfire just fine.
If you have the '79 gearbox, it's even easier. Assuming the '68 is original,
you'll probably need to change the flange on the driveshaft to mate up with
that later gearbox (u-joints are the same). If you use the '68 gearbox, you'll
have to change at least the clutch driven plate.

Pretty much whatever combination you end up with, it's all "wrench work" to
swap back and forth.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, Vice President, Member Services
  and 10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Vehicle Consultant
The Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>