black gauge rims

To: Spitfires <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: black gauge rims
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:04:06 -0500
I have a dash made to hold 3 gauges in my 80 Spitfire.  The third gauge
is the dual oil pressure - water temp gauge ( I will replace the current
temp gauge with a voltmeter).  The rims on the Spit are black and the
one on the dual gauge is chrome.  At the time I thought no problem, I
have other gauges that have black rims I will just switch them.

Then I discovered that I have 3 different styles of black rims.

In cross section they look kind of like this: (and what I think they are
from)
Black |\ Black  TR6  GT6
Black /\ Black  TR250
Chrome |\ Black Spitfire

I was a bit surprised.  Anyway, I guess I need to paint the chrom rim
that I have.  Is there any special preparation that I need to do?  And
do you think the paint should be gloss or semi-gloss?

Thanks,

Roger Elliott