The Gift of Hindsight (long)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Gift of Hindsight (long)
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:13:44 -0800
The gift of hindsight can sometimes be a very cruel thing.  Take for example,
the fact that like many of you, I don't throw ANYTHING away.  I have left over
carpet snaps, used gaskets, things that I couldn't possibly have any use for,
but I keep them anyway -- just in case.  When you're building a project car, a
lot of things can come in handy for reasons you can't anticipate.  Case in
point:

A couple of months ago, I decided to take a stand and throw out some stuff.
Like the broken Lucas turn signal switch that came on the steering column I
bought at a junkyard.  The stalk was snapped off at the base, and rather than
attempt to repair it, I bought a new signal switch from a reputable gent in
London who was selling them on eBay for about the same or less than I could
buy it domestically, including shipping.  I reasoned that it would be foolish
to try and repair a 40-year-old switch or whatever it was.  When the new Lucas
switch arrived, I promptly installed it.  Weeks went by, and I would
occasionally glance at that old broken switch laying on the workbench.  I
finally decided to toss it, reasoning "I couldn't possibly have any use for
this".

Today, realizing that I had inadvertently placed the overdrive stalk on the
wrong side of the column, I went about correcting things and one of the steps
involved removing the new turn signal switch.  Upon removing it, I sort of
absent-mindedly gave the stalk a click in one direction and then the other to
reassure myself that this brand new switch was going to be swell, while
daydreaming about actually using the switch one of these days when the car is
on the road.

That's when I discovered that the switch would not stay switched on in one
position -- the side that was missing the spring clip that holds the switch in
the open position until the ridged collar on the steering column resets it
after the completion of the turn.  WHAT!!!?

Fearing that the spring clip must have somehow inexplicably fallen off while
installing or removing the switch, I carefully searched the floor of the car
-- and the cement underneath it.  I also checked thoroughly inside the column
housing.  Guess what?  No spring clip!!  I guess that when the switch was
manufactured, they missed installing one of the two clips.

Then I remembered my "spare", the broken switch.  "Ah!  I'll just remove one
of the clips from that one!"  Then, as I searched the garage, it slowly came
back to me that I discarded this "junked" switch a month or two ago, reasoning
that I could never have any use for it -- and being broken -- it couldn't do
anyone else any good, either.

It's ironic, that the ONE part I decided to throw away -- I ended up needing.
If anyone out there in Spitfire-Land has a broken turn signal switch that you
can spare a spring clip from, you know where to find me.

Excuse me, but I've got to get back to kicking myself now...

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'68 Spitfire Mk3 frame off, bare metal project, aka "Mrs. Jones"
'70 GT6+ "Accidental", eventual restoration project
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Join  the TOTALLY TRIUMPH NETWORK!
Forums, Photos, How-To's, Classifieds, Links & Triumph Merchandise
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net