"Denatured Alcohol" and Flying Fantasies

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: "Denatured Alcohol" and Flying Fantasies
From: "Geoff Heyland" <gheyland@odyssey.on.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:27:05 -0600
OK folks - I've seen several references to denatured alcohol as a recommended
brake/clutch system cleaner prior to switching to DOT 5 fluid.  I've checked
at Walmart, Home Depot, Canadian Tire (being Canadian) and the Building Box -
no luck - no one even knows what I'm talking about (granted, most are teenage
wannabe's with limited familiarity with this stuff).  Is it known by some
other name?  Any ideas on where I can acquire it?  I also saw a reference to
acetone - is this a good thing to flush through a system, or might if affect
the seals?  I figure to fill the system with some kind of cleaner then blow it
out with air pressure and refill with DOT 5 (note - I've already cleaned and
rebuilt the MC and slave, and have all new wheel cylinders/rebuilt caliper
pistons, so the big issue is cleaning out the tubing).

Also - to join the club - I've got 55 hours of solo and cross country in my
log - from 1973-75 when I first owned my current Spitfire.  Used to fly out of
Buttonville, for you Ontario Canucks on the list!  Had to stop when university
started I'm afraid - limited cash resources for plane rentals.  I loved it
then, miss it still and continue to fantasize of pulling back on the wheel
while driving the Spit and lifting into a clear blue summer sky (sigh).   Note
- I also fantasize about flipping the machine gun switch on my shift knob and
blowing the hell out of some other drivers from time to time (sigh).

Geoff Heyland
London, Ontario
65 Spit Mk II
67 Spit Mk II