Re: Problems, problems...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Problems, problems...
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 07:49:42 +0000
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, at around 14:23:07 local time, Douglas Braun
<doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:
>At 06:05 PM 11/5/02 +0000, Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
>
>>Problem 1.
>>There is a very loud BRRRRRRRRRRR noise from under the bonnet (on a
>>descending note) when decelerating through 4000 rpm.   It starts when
>>the engine speed drops to about 4000 rpm and has gone by the time it
>>reaches about 3900 rpm.
>
>When I have driven my car with the transmission tunnel cover removed,
>I have heard the same sort of thing:  A loud, funny rattling noise only
>during overrun in a narrow RPM range.  I could never figure out
>what it was.  When the tunnel cover installed, it is almost
>impossible to hear.
>
>Anyway, you're not alone...

Thanks, Doug (I think... <g>).   My transmission tunnel cover is in
place, as are the carpets.   The noise has to be pretty loud to be heard
over all the other noises in a Spitfire at 70mph, and I'm still a trifle
concerned.

>>Problem 2.
>>Having left Crete in a temperature of around 87F yesterday afternoon,
>>and collected my car at Gatwick Airport in a temperature of around 35F
>>last night, I drove for a while with the windows shut.   The car stinks
>>of petrol, even an hour after the choke has been pushed in.   I hadn't
>>noticed this previously - but then I've never driven the car with a
>>hard-top on and the windows wound up before.   Fuel consumption seems to
>>be good, so I don't suspect a large leak anywhere.   What else should I
>>be looking at?   Breather pipes?
>
>I started getting a gas smell, and it turned out to be a crack in the
>gas tank.  It was about 4 inches long, horizontal, right in
>the middle of the rear surface.  It was almost invisible, except that
>there was a slimy film of dried gasoline residue beneath it.
>I took the tank to a radiator shop, and they soldered a patch over
>the crack.
>
>Time to pull off the panels on the front and back of the gas tank
>and have a careful look.  Also check carefully the line from
>the tank.  Between the tank itself and the main pipe that
>runs along the chassis rail, there are about 6 joints and bits
>of rubber hose.

And thanks for this, too.   Another correspondent mentioned that he had
had a similar problem after his car had been left standing for a while,
and that it went away after he had pumped enough petrol through the
system to wet the various gaskets.   His leak came from the fuel pump.
Spookily, when I drove the car yesterday, the smell had gone, so maybe
I've got away with it!   I have saved your message in case it comes
back, though...

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671