choke adjustment?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: choke adjustment?
From: Dan Von Seggern <danvon@scripps.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 17:18:45 -0800
Hi all.

Can anyone explain to me how to adjust the water choke on my ZS carb?
It is on a 1976 California spec 1500, but I suspect that the motor is
later (maybe 1978).    I rebuilt the carb and had the autochoke unit
done at a shop, then reinstalled it per their instructions.  It
definitely works OK (high idle is ~1000 rpm above the normal idle; drops
cleanly down once warm) but seems like it takes forever to get warm
enough to drop to normal.  Maybe 5 minutes idling or 10 minutes of
normal driving on reasonably warm but not hot weather, doesn't seem like
it should take that long.

I assume that the adjustment has something to do with the tension in the
rotating spring on the heat mass, but don't want to just start tweaking
it at random.  Anyone else had to change this?

thanks,

dan

Dan Von Seggern
Assistant Professor