Re: New Spit 1500 owner electrical questions (lite)

To: "Dave Willner" <dwillner@icontech.com>
Subject: Re: New Spit 1500 owner electrical questions (lite)
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:13:19 -0500
I have a '72 with simpler electrics, so I may have to guess a little.

At 07:03 PM 10/30/02 -0500, you wrote:

>Question1. I'm detailing under the bonnet and have removed the  "splash
>guards" and noticed a white female connector that was taped up. It's opposite
>the distributor and has white, white and blue, and white and gray (slate)
>wires attached. It's off the main harness and about 6-8" long. I can't seem to
>find out it's purpose? Car doesn't have OD.

Sounds like the oil pressure sender, which I believe has three terminals on the
later models.

>Question 2: There a green and black lead with a female connector that was
>wrapped around the steering column up near the wheel. When unwrapping it I
>apparently grounded it out, a buzzer went off, no key in ignition, door was
>open? Any thoughts, not sure where it goes, and why it's there.

This goes to a mating bullet connector on the ignition switch, and is supposed
set off the buzzer if you leave the key in the ignition and open the door.
(I leave mine disconnected :-)

>Question 3: The handbrake warning light is out. I replaced the bulb, still
>out. Does the switch go bad, and is it humanly possible to get to it?

Handbrake warning light?  Luxury!

>Also last one, fuel gauge reads 3/4 after filling, I'm assuming that I may
>have a small leak in the float? The temp gauge reads fine, so I don't believe
>it's the stabilizer, but I may be wrong?

If the float is flooded, but the rest of the sender is OK,
you can get just the float from www.rdent.com  They sell
Lotus parts, but the float is the same.

Doug Braun