Re: Axle stud removal...

To: Andre Rousseau <andrer@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Axle stud removal...
From: "Javier Vidaurre Ch." <vidaurre@rocketmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:24:03 -0800 (PST)
Hello Andre R.,

You wrote:

"To quote Haynes. "Push the Axle Stud out." Sure.
Ok how can I get this puppy out?"

Who are they kidding?

I did this about three weeks ago on my 1970 Herald
13/60.  I first tried with an ancient screw type
press, not enough pressure.  I found a machine shop
with a 60 ton hand pumped hydraulic press.  On the
flip side of that shown in the photo on your web page
a length of tubing (strong steel, not black iron pipe)
a bit longer than the threaded portion was slipped
over the threads coming to bear on the shoulder at the
termination of the threads in the recess/stub axle
hole of the vertical link.  As the machinist pumped
the hydraulics I saw the pressure needle reach between
3 to 5 tons before a very loud bang anounced it's
removal so forget banging it with your hammer, though
you may get lucky.  The danger is you might bend the
threaded portion of the axle so make sure everthing
lines up.

Good Luck, Javier Vidaurre