Engine Swap Update: She's alive!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Swap Update: She's alive!
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 18:41:44 +0100
Well, the engine went in, the gearbox needed a bit of a wiggle to go in - but
that was to be expected. Actually a bit easier than I thought - although we
did use a rather inventive system of using the engine hoist around the
bellhousing and a jack under the sump to sort of move them all together.

Attached all the external bits to the engine in the afternoon.

Turned over the engine a few times, get the oil moving around.

Pulled the choke - and it roared in to life. Keep in mind that this is only
the second time the engine has run in a couple of years! And this is the first
ever engine swap I have ever done.

Have not checked the clutch yet - or the gear box - as the exhaust system
consists of just the manifold - I thought it wasnt such a good idea. Rather
loud and anti-social. Maybe tomorrow. Just move it backwards and forwards
under its own power.

Just got to wait until next week (or at least Tuesday at the earliest) to get
the new exhaust sections (downpipe and the straight section)

Then (hopefully) its finished.... just a load of fiddling with stuff, swapping
the distributor over etc...

James