Engine Swap Update No. 4

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Swap Update No. 4
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:23:18 +0100
Today was not fun.

If you remember the state we left the car in 2 weeks ago was with the engine
out and the old gearbox back in....

Took the old gearbox out of the car again. Getting pretty quick at this
hoisting business....

Took the "new" gearbox to the machine shop - got two holes drilled and tapped
for 20 quid. I then cleaned up the gearbox with some degreaser. Wow - its all
shiney! Almost...

The I spotted that the downpipe had rusted through - one small tug and it
sheared off right at the part where it clamps to the long pipe. Ordered a new
downpipe.

Tried to get the part of the downpipe out of the straight pipe with
heat/screwdriver/hammer/pliers. No joy. Ordered a new one for 12 pounds.

Next we try and get the engine in - but the engine hoist we are borrowing is
different to the other one - so gets caught on the tyre - light was fading
fast so we decided it was time to go home - next time we'll use a stand and
take off the tyre.

More fun tomorrow......

But it wont be finished this weekend - got to wait for the exhaust parts....

James