1980 Spitfire loose steering column

To: SpitList <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1980 Spitfire loose steering column
From: <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:57:48 -0400
Hi,

I have a 1980 Spitfire.  The steering column seems to  be loose.  When sitting
still, I can move the steering wheel left to right quite a bit.  I have
compared it to other Spits and it definately moves a lot more than the others.

I know that the column brace that runs to the center of the dash and ties into
the transmission tunnel dash support is there and tight.

After crawling under the dash, it looks like the movement is starting about
where the two piece rubber block supports the column.  I know there is also an
upper bushing.

Any suggestions on what the correct fix is?

Thanks,

Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire