Engine start - no LBC, just cars :-)

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Engine start - no LBC, just cars :-)
From: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 15:44:57 -0400
Hi all,

With the TR3a almost complete (well they are never complete are they :-) ),
I have to turn part of my attention to the wife's '66 Mustang project.  I
have attemped to start the engine a number times and she will only run with
a half open throttle running about 2K rpm and when I let her reduce to 1K
rpm she stalls.
This engine is a 289CI HI-PO with a mid-80's electronic ignition system, all
new. One of the PO's had put an Edelbrock intake and carb on it. New plug
wires, new plugs as well.

The timing was set statically set according to the Haynes manual and figure
at the very least that should be close.  I would like to talk to anyone with
experience with Blue-Ovals, my experience is Triumphs, Dodge & Bowties :-)

My current thoughts are as follows:

- old gas, I put premimum gas in her last summer and added "Sta-bil" gas
stabilizer. Never have any problems with other engines I have left
gas/stabilzer in.
- dirty carb?

- timing is still way off?

- something else I have not thought of?!?! (always a possibility :-P  )

Thanks
David A. Templeton
'59 TR3a
'66 Ford Mustang - Project