What to replace on my new engine?

To: "Team.net Spit list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: What to replace on my new engine?
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:37:13 -0700
Sorry if this is a duplication

James, I suggest you also replace rear main oil seal. It's exposed and
relatively easy to replace with the gearbox out. Cheap part too. You had one
non-leaky engine (I'm still trying to get used to that concept) so this
would help the new one remain so. It may also lengthen the life of the new
clutch that someone suggested (great idea).  How about the front seal as
well. (Near/around/behind the timing chain/belt) Haven't done that myself,
so can't comment on ease, I expect someone else can. Probably easier with
engine out though.

Another thought: if you can hear this run, then all ancillaries will be
attached. How about offering the seller another #50 or so, and getting all
of them, like the starter, alternator, distributor, water pump and fan etc.
Same for manifolds, even if seller is keeping carb. Much cheaper to buy them
this way than separately, and you'd have spares. It would also make the
installation much easier and take much less time. (OK, I admit I'm a packrat
when it comes to Spit spares, but you sound like you'll be keeping this car
or another Spit around for a long time, and these things do wear out over
time, makes sense to buy them cheaply if possible.)

If I recall, the gearbox and engine are from different cars. Probably a good
idea to test fit your new clutch parts and mate the box to the engine before
EI-day (Engine Installation day), so you have the opportunity to change any
non-matching component.
Glad to hear you are Triumphing over this setback.
Cheers
Nick Moseley