RE: Engine and gearbox found

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine and gearbox found
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 10:11:11 -0400
>From: Richard Gosling >

<snip>

>Try and check for free play in the crankshaft.  Have someone press on the
>clutch (which will push the crank forwards), then release the clutch and
>push back on the crank pulley with a big lever.  If it moves, the thrust
>bearings have gone and you will definitely want to replace them before the
>engine is fitted.

If the thrust washers have actually fallen out, the engine is probably
a goner and you don't want to buy it.  It would be nice if you could
borrow an oil pressure gauge and check the oil pressure hot to get
an idea of the bearings' condition.  It's been my (very limited)
experience that most parts of a 1500 motor last a long time; the
exceptions being the bearings (esp. con rod) and the thrust
washers.  If I recall correctly, your previous engine had a bearing
failure; you can buy a whole set of bearings and thrust washers for
about $50 (that's about 35 pounds?) and install them through the
oil pan.  This will be easier with the engine out of the car but
can be done also later with it in the car if you so choose.  I did
this about 15,000 miles ago on my high mileage engine and it brought
the oil pressure up from 15 to 40 lbs hot.

Just something to think about...

Greg Rowe