SUV and litle cars two accidents - lbcs won! (long)

To: "Douglas Braun" <doug@dougbraun.com>, "Tim Wilcox" <tw1@MUW.Edu>
Subject: SUV and litle cars two accidents - lbcs won! (long)
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:02:18 -0400
I use to worry about this type of thing....
but as long as you can duck down...
the chances are in your favor...you'll win!

I, in just the last five months, have witnessed
first hand three accidents involving large SUV's
and small cars.

In every case, the small car was driven away
from the accident afterwards.  All the SUV's
had to be 'righted' and/or towed away.

the first... was a lady in an Expedition...on a cell
phone of course... that rear ended a Honda Del Sol
at a stop light. At roughly 25 mph, the Ex. ran up on
the back of the H.D.S. and flipped over off the side
of the road onto the grass in front of the corner gas
station.  I was pumping gas and watched the whole
thing happen.  The SUV driver was still strapped in...hanging
upside down..cell phone still in hand...with her mouth
and eyeballs gaping wide open. They had to cut the
door off to get her out.  The Del Sol driver got out of the
car and was the first person to try and get her out. It
didn't even break any of the rear tail lights on the Del
Sol, just crumpled up sheet metal on top of the trunk lid.

the second.... a  GMC Jimmy pulled out in front of traffic...
making a left and ran into a car already traveling
in the in the direction the SUV wanted to go.
The Nissan Sentra caught the SUV behind the it's
front passenger side tire and flipped the SUV over two
times, and back onto a car that had stopped when it cut
across in front of them. The SUV driver was dead on
the scene.  The Nissan drive was not charged.

The third.... a MkIII Spit.  Hit broad side by one of those
super long Jimmy 4 door work pickup trucks...like the
ones you see construction crews driving.  Again...the
truck rolled on its side after running up onto and over
the bonnet of the MKIII. The momentum of the MKIII was enough
(guessimate MKIII moving at 45mph) to spin the Jimmy
(while laying on its side) That Jimmy must have
made at least two full revolutions laying on its side.
The MKIII backed up, and pulled over into a parking lot
to get out of traffic. Yes. the bonnet was destroyed...
but to my amazement the windshield wasn't even broken
and both passengers got out un hurt. When I walked up to the
MKIII the engine was still running. (He couldn't shut it off
with the key and I helped him rip open the bonnet
to get to the battery)

And.... you can check out the accident I had myself...
a tracker trailer blowing me off the highway at speed
and the car was still drivable (bottom of the page...)
www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/yb_description.htm
no one really won that one.

As long as YOU... treat driving your LBC as if YOU...
are totally invisible... you shouldn't have any problems.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com