Re: drilling fibreglass tunnel

To: howard hoover <markiiibuy@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: drilling fibreglass tunnel
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:06:22 -0400
Here's how I did the one for the Herald- also fiberglass

First, I plotted out where the hole goes for the shifter, and the diameter
needed based on the old cardboard one. Then I drilled small holes around the
circle I'd drawn- first about 1" apart, then a second set 1/2 that distance,
then another set, until finally they were all within 1/8" or so of the next
one. Then I took a small ball peen hammer, and smacked the center of the
disk now formed within the circle. A few good whacks, and it snapped right
out. (A couple whacks near the circle of holes also helped.) A half round
file smoothed the edge.

As to the hold down holes- I found the fiberglass tunnel to be incrementally
larger than the original. I would give up trying to match those holes, and
just use drill point hex head screws available at the hardware store.
Otherwise you'll end up very annoyed, frustrated, and cursing for a long
while, as I did.(I had gone through very carefully and measured everything,
and still found out the hard way this is the best course.) You can closely
approximate the proper positions, and besides, the carpet goes over it
anyway.

As to the coin tray area, usually exposed by the carpets- I found a couple
coats of spray on truck bedliner paint make a good simulation of the
cardboard and black paint look of the original.

You will most likely have to trim the edges to match the floor pan area. I
used a Dremel Tool with a cutting disk on it, after pencil tracing the floor
pan with the tunnel cover placed in proper position. (You may need to trim
down the topmost foreward piece first, to even get it to fit in there.)

Good luck with it- it took me two days to get it right.

Scott