Re: Thrust Washer/Rear Main Seal Replacement on 1296cc

To: "Adam Rodnitzky" <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Thrust Washer/Rear Main Seal Replacement on 1296cc
From: "griffco" <griffco@griffco.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:02:26 -0600
Hi again Adam,
    I would question your replacement of the thrust washers at the same time
as replacing the clutch on the following grounds:

To remove the transmission you have to hold the motor up somehow.  The most
common way is a board under the sump, held up by a hydraulic jack so the
level can be adjusted to get transmission shaft  and dowels to mate
correctly.

If  you remove the sump, how are you going to hold the motor up?  You could
hang it I guess.

I used ordinary engine gasket cement, forget the brand or particular type.
I don't think it was a silicone based product though.

Your point 2 - removing conrod bearings - no, no.  I suspect you mean the
rear main bearing cap bolts.  In that case, I used them again and again.  I
don't race or rally, but you may....

Cheers, Fred