Thrust Washer/Rear Main Seal Replacement on 1296cc

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Thrust Washer/Rear Main Seal Replacement on 1296cc
From: Adam Rodnitzky <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to everyone who replied regarding my imminent
and upcoming clutch replacement. The scope of this
repair has now expanded to include the rear main seal
and thrust washers (after said good advice!). As this
is all new territory for me, I was wondering if anyone
had any advice for a first timer doing this job. I'll
have the tranny off the car, and will drop the sump
for access to the crank. Things in particular I am
wondering are:

1) What kind of sealant, if any, for the rear main
seal, seal carrier plate gasket and sump gasket

2) Is it OK to reuse the con rod bolts after removing
them to access the thrust washers, or should I get new
ones?

3) Anything else I should do/check out while I'm in
there?

Thanks!

Adam R.
'70 Spitfire Mk3