RE: Triumph Spitfire 1500

To: "'Tom Marshall'" <tommarshall@roadrunner50.freeserve.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Triumph Spitfire 1500
From: "St.John, Kenneth" <ken.stjohn@hexcel.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:04:40 -0700
Good Luck Tom!
        The Vintage Triumph Register has a pretty good basic guide -
http://www.vtr.org/Spitfire/Spitfire-buying.html .  There is a sketch out
there on the web somewhere that shows exactly where to look for rust.  I
took that with me and spent lots of time just looking my car over.
I hightly suggest starting with a complete and running car (looking at the
pile of parts in my garage that is a second Spitfire)  I bought a driver and
a project car.  It is much easier to enjoy the driver and make improvements
than to motivate myself to working on the project.
It's a good idea to test drive with the top (hood for you) up.  You can hear
a lot more of the stuff that indicates problems this way.
One nice thing that I found - most any part is available out there!

Good Luck again - I'm sure others will have good suggestions more technical
than mine!

Ken St.John
'74 Spitfire 1500 (Lil Red)
"65 Spitfire Mk II project "Ol Blue"