Re: questions for the list

To: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: questions for the list
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:00:40 -0400
George P. said ---

I was thinking about replacing
> the tunnel with a fiberglass tunnel.  The Vic-Brit catalog seems to imply
> there are two different tunnels available - glass and some other type of
> plastic (three letters that just aren't coming to me right now...).  Can
> anyone recommend one over the other?  And is there a recommended
insulation
> that will keep both heat and sound out?  How tough is this job?  I assume
it
> involves having to remove the carpet without destroying it....  Also, has
> anyone replaced the tunnel and cut a piece out for access to the clutch
> cylinder?  I was thinking about cutting out a window and then making it
into
> a little removeable panel for easy access to the slave cylinder.  If
> anyone's done this and can direct me to a website for directions or
> something, I would appreciate it.  Otherwise, I do have some ideas on how
> do it (cut out the window, rivet a hinge on it, install a dzus fastener to
> hold it closed, and glue some insulation on the gbx side of the hinged
panel
> - whaddya think?).

George,  A couple of years ago I re-built the cardboard tunnel in my '78
which was missing about half the vertical part that bolts to the firewall
and pretty much screwed up everywhere else.  I cut a new vertical piece from
hardboard and fiberglassed it to the tunnel body - also made a lot of
fiberglass repairs to the tunnel itself, including the hole that the
shift-lever goes through.  Not pretty, but very functional & well-sealing (I
used some household weatherstrip for the seal).  For insulation, I used the
original stuffing on the underside, but re-wrapped it in new heavy-grade
plastic, which I screwed to the tunnel body because I had no luck with glue
or staples (that, BTW, was a PITA job).

Early this year, I re-did the tunnel on my '77, which was in much better
shape than the '78 one.  However, it had a hole banged in the left side
(with a sledge-hammer?), apparently to gain access to the clutch slave; the
hole was covered with nothing but masking-tape.  So I cut the hole out
neatly, made an access panel out of hardboard, & attached same to the tunnel
with those clip-on U-nuts.  I insulated this one on the top-side with
household 7/16" carpet padding (which, BTW, also works great under the door
upholstery panels).  I'm sending you a few pictures of this project,
off-list.

Cheers,  Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD / Mexico, NY