Need help with su problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Need help with su problem
From: Chris DeStaffany <destaff@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 22:22:30 -0700 (PDT)
This is driving me nuts!  Here is the story.

I purchased a 76 spit last year that has a 1296
engine. When I bought it, it had a holly carb with a
cannon manifold.  I aquired a new pair of su2's on
e-bay and a seperate intake manifold.  I installed
them a couple of weeks ago but they are not running
right.  I have installed a Rimmers 4-2-1 stainless
header that I put O2 sensers on #1 and #4 pipes to
monitor each carb seperatly.  I went through the full
installation and tune up procedure which I have done
before.

But, I can't get it to run correctly. I start with the
mixture nut down 12 flats.  With the choke on, it will
start and warm up well.  The sencors show 12 to 1 for
air/fuel.  However, when I try to take the choke off,
the mixture in one carb falls to less than 17 to 1.
The other meter bounces all over the place when the
choke is off but spends most of the time at 17 to 1.
If I place my fingers over the intake and restrict the
intake or shoot a squirt of carb cleaner into the
intake, it riches right up and starts to run correctly
for a few seconds but then returns to its previous
behavior of way too lean.  I have tried to richen up
the mixture with the jet nut but even with it down 30
flats or more it makes little difference.

I have AAN needles which should be the correct ones.
I have checked the unit over and over for  vacume
leaks and have found none.  I have used the carb
cleaner trick for finding leaks and still have found
nothing.  I have dissambled the units over and over
and have found no problems.

Does anyone out there have any ideas on what I can do
to get this thing to work correctly?

Chris DeStaffany
extremely frustrated in Friday Harbor, Wa
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com