Bad vibrations

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bad vibrations
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 20:48:46 -0400
Hi everyone,
after just explaining to the list about my ailing Spit, I'm now asking for
your opinion.
I've just installed a new shock, a brand new wire wheel, and my better half
Wilf literally lost his nerves installing two new u-joints.
This done, we were hoping to have the Spit running again.
It wasn't meant to be. We have a bad vibration, which may be coming from the
propeller shaft.
The u-joints we installed are located at either end of the propeller shaft,
one near the diff, the other near the transmission.
We just spend several hours lying under the Fly, taking the exhaust off, then
removing the propeller shaft.
The u-joints seemed to have been installed slightly uneven, we therefore reset
them in straight, thinking that this may be the problem of the vibration.
After putting the Spit back together again, we went for a drive. The vibration
continues, it increases with speed.
At about 50 miles per hours, it's very intensive.
It's not the balancing of the wheels. It's more severe than that.
What could we have done wrong?
Thanks in advance for any opinions on this problem.

Liv
67 Mk3 Spit