Clutch Dungeon

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Dungeon
From: David M Brock <brockd@toronto.cbc.ca>
Date: 22 Apr 2002 17:15:05 -0300
Hej Listers!

To begin, I should introduce myself- I (along with my occasionally
trusty 1973-1500) have returned from a list-hiatus of several years.  I
could bore us all, including myself, with tales of what I've been doing,
but then I'd lose most eyes before the good part, the question below.
However, after lurking the list for the last few weeks, I feel like I am
back among friends, even if many 'faces' are new.

I tore into my clutch on the weekend, after finding the pedal on the
floor yet again, and found that the slave cylinder was in dire need of
some love & attention.  Observing it for the first time, I found the
only way in was by removing a black cap that seemed to hold on the
rubber (or what used to be rubber) boot.  The cap, however, was crimped
into place.

I have ordered a rebuild kit, but I'm afraid that the kit only includes
the rubber, not the metal (tin?) 'skirt' that I partially destroyed
during removal.  Can anyone tell me:

a) Did I do something bad in removing this part in the method I did, and
if so, how the heck should it have been removed?  (The Haynes manual
effectively says "take it apart")

b) Does the rebuild kit include this part?

I should also say that if I get the answer that I don't want, ie) that
I'm S-O-L, my next question will be about getting out of the hole I'm
now in.  Those who see it coming and feel the urge can start drafting
their messages now...

;-David (& Beverly)