RE: overdrive problems

To: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>,
Subject: RE: overdrive problems
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:22:25 -0400
Indeed!  If you have to remove the carpet or gearbox tunnel cover,
you naturally have to remove the shift knob.  It is very hard to
avoid damaging the wires to the shifter knob switch in the process.

You may need to rebuild the mini-wiring harness that goes up
the shifter to the knob.  Naturally, you will have to re-use
the switch connectors since they are NLA.  There is very little
room in the knob underneath the switch for heat-shrink tubing, etc.
to fit.

Remember:  You want your OD wiring harness to be very well-made
and in perfect condition, because reaching it to fix it is such a pain.
Using cheapo crimp-on connectors and a cheapo crimp tool is
asking for trouble sooner or later.

Putting the switch in the knob was obviously a marketing-driven
decision.  I am sure the engineers responsible for the OD
wiring cringed when they were told to do it...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit