RE: Power steering... (lubricating the trunnions) - grease guns

To: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>,
Subject: RE: Power steering... (lubricating the trunnions) - grease guns
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 02:53:19 -0800 (PST)
--- Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com> wrote:
> Most importantly, your rear wheel bearings need greasing.  DO THIS NOW!

I'll do it tonight!  Do I just remove the rear wheels and I'll see a
grease nipple?

> You should also grease your rear axle and prop-shaft UJs, if they are
> not
> the sealed-for-life type - but I have yet to find a way to get a grease
> nipple onto these (the idea in theory is that there is a hole in the
> spider
> plugged with a grub screw, which you remove and replace with a grease
> nipple
> when they need greasing - nice theory, but access is impossible.  I
> have
> heard of ones with a grease nipple in each cap, but never seen it).

Can't remember which type mine are, they are 18 months old anyhow

> You should also remove the dust covers in the centre of the front hubs
> and
> smear plenty of grease around there - in combination with adjusting the
> end-float (see your Haynes Manual!).  This is another
> more-easily-said-than-done task, as those dust covers usually resist
> all
> attempts at removal (I have heard some tricks that I can let you know,
> but
> not tried them yet myself).

I did this when I replaced the wheel bearings 6 months ago.  To get one
of the grease caps off I just screwed a self tapping screw through the
hole at the top, although I don't think all grease caps have this hole,
if not either buy one that does or make your own hole!  The other cap was
quite mangled from a dpo's attempts to remove it and I resorted to
hacksawing it apart so and yanking it our with molegrips.  I had already
bought replacements so this did not matter.  Incedentally the replacement
caps seem to be better quality than the originals, the metal they are
made from is a lot less soft and a bit thinner.

cheers
John
http://taxes.yahoo.com/