Re: Spitfire tires, help

To: Flinters@picarefy.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire tires, help
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:58:34 -0500 (EST)
Couple quick ones:

Mk-III definitely had non-synchro 1st.  And I learned to double clutch
in 2nd and 3rd, too because my tranny kept breaking synchro balk
springs.  (For those who are keeping score, I could pull the trans and
OD, disassemble is sufficiently to replace springs, replace gaskets
and reinstall it in 45 minutes.  I think.  It's been a while and the
older I get the faster I was, y'know ;)

Lifting a piston is a great way to lean out a carb -- very large
orifice with constant air flow --> no pressure drop to draw fuel
through the jet.  But I would agree that a stuck-in-the-down-position
jet (as if it were always choked) would give you apparent flooding
problems.  Also check float levels and fuel pump output pressure.
Fuel pressure in these carbs is quite small (2 or 3 psi as I recall.)

Donald.

> Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 21:11:41 -0800
> From: Dan Canaan <Flinters@picarefy.com>

[SNIP]