Re: strange light behavior

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>,
Subject: Re: strange light behavior
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:27:35 -0700
Jim, don't delay, open up the middle dashboard section, remove the switch,
take it apart, and inspect the plastic back where the wires terminate into
little "buttons" in the back of the switch.
My experience: the little buttons in the back of the switch had heated up.
This in turn melted the back of the switch, allowing the buttons to sink
into the plastic. This made it difficult for the copper band in the switch
to make connections. (Probably was in danger of fire, but I smoke, so
couldn't smell it...)

I had a halogen headlight on a rusty car (Spit), and had similar problems.
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the added draw of the halogen
bulb, combined with the poor ground, had the circuit trying to ground itself
through the switch.
Whatever the actual reason, I suggest:
-take the switch apart and check for damage. Replace if necessary
-clean out each of the connections in the harness in the bonnet, and to the
back of the switch
-check your grounds on the car, including the ones to the engine, to the
tub, to the battery, and to the steering rack.
Doug (and Nadia) have already explained the phenomena of the high beams
working but not the low beams, they (high beams)being on a different
circuit.
Hope this helps
Nick Moseley
Delta B.C.
78 Spit being summer-driven daily, after passing Aircare (local emission
laws) on its fourth try.  (My car quit smoking, and I... haven't yet)
76 and 78 waiting for more attention