GT6 engine barely runs ?

To: "spitfires@autox.team" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 engine barely runs ?
From: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:11:55 -0400
I have a question for those real mechanics on the list.  My GT6 ran
great a couple of days ago.  Then I installed new horns and tracked
down a short in a turn signal wire.  I had to pull the dash and
instruments out to track it down.  The only other thing I did was add
a quart of oil.

Today I tried to start the car and the battery was too low to turn
over.  I jumped it and it turned over but didn't want to start.
Finally I held the gas pedal all the way down and it started.  But, it
ran really rough, almost like it was too rich.  After running at about
2500 rpm for a minute I let off the gas and it wouldn't idle...it just
died.  Tried again and it only started with pedal all the way down.
As it was revving it began to misfire and backfire.

What gives?  Sounds like it's too rich when I start up.  Then it
sounds like the carbs aren't tuned or there is a vacuum leak.  I can't
figure out how this could be since I didn't mess with anything other
than the wiring to the horn and turn signals.

Mike           http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross
'63 Spitfire
'66 Spitfire
'68 Spitfire (donor body tub for GT6 convertible)
'69 GT6+  (donor chassis for GT6 convertible)
'70 GT6+