Re: Front hub dust cover

To: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front hub dust cover
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:10:15 -0500
Dave Templeton said --

> On the '74 spitfire I am having trouble getting the hub nut dust cover
off.
> It seems to be "welded" in place. I have tried tapping, knudging with soft
> hammer & prying with a screwdriver.
>
> I have heated and applied penetrating oil. Anybody have any other ideas
> other than destroying the cover once and for all.

Various responders suggested the screw-in-the-cover trick, channel-locks,
vice-grips and (my favorite) bang the hell out of it & get a replacement.

Dave, I had to remove mine today to grease the wheel-bearings.  I tried all
of the above without any luck.  I was successful, however, by using a
medium-size flat-blade screwdriver and a hammer.  I placed the screwdriver
downward on the cover (fairly close to the hub) with a little bit of outward
slant (you can only get a little bit of slant because the hub & the rotor
will restrict you).  After a couple of hits on the screwdriver with the
hammer, I spun the wheel 180 deg & took a couple of more hits.  After not
too much effort, VOILA, she started coming out!  That method of attack
worked on both sides, though it did put some dimples in the dust-cover; but
my artistic dimples did not destroy the covers.  In fact, they're back on
now, the Spit is de-jacked & buttoned up - and now it's Molson-time.

YMMV - let us know what works/worked for you.

Cheers,  Ree G. in Mexico, NY  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O