Re: Electrical Problem

To: "Jim Dwyer" <jim.dwyer@sympatico.ca>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Problem
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:26:01 -0700
At 10:37 AM 6/29/01 -0400, Jim Dwyer wrote:
>Hi:
>
>I am having an electrical problem with my 76 Spitfire.  The middle fuse in
>the fuse box on the front of the engine bulkhead is blowing.  The rear
>lights, side lights, the number plate lights and instrument lights do not
>work.  When I replace the fuse and turn on the headlights the fuse blows so
>I know there is a short.  Anyone have any idea where I should look to find
>the short?
>
>Thanks
>
>Jim

You can replace the fuse with a circuit breaker that fits in the place of
the glass fuse.  They aren't expensive at better auto parts stores.
Install that (as a test device, not as a replacement), then disconnect the
wiring harness at the front of the car under the bonnet.  Right behind the
grill and in front of the radiator is where the wiring for the headlights,
front turn signals, and running lights is located.  Once disconnected (and
kept from touching the frame), turn the lights on and see if you are still
blowing this circuit.  If so, then you know the problem is farther back.
Then you can disconnect the rear bulbs in the sockets and check.  If the
problem persists, then it is in the wiring between the switch and the
harness.  It's a matter of isolating the short which is what you have.
Having the wires under the bonnet short out isn't uncommon since they are
the only wires that have to flex every time you open the bonnet.  It
doesn't take much for them to wear and fray against the chassis, especially
at the bent metal wire clips that are tack welded in place.  Those pinch
and tear at the insulation, I've found.
 |             |   1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III   *   Furry Artist      |
 |             |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |    Canaan   |     ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |