re: Pivot pins on Midget/Spitfire 1500 trannies... in situ?

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: re: Pivot pins on Midget/Spitfire 1500 trannies... in situ?
From: rtgetzinger@scif.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 8:28:24 PDT
Trevor,
All my three rail trans have had a loose pin and throughout arm, frequent
problem.  If the pin you have shows wear I'd replace it. You should have a
sorta corrugated sleeve bushing that wraps around the pin that snugs it up
when it is down in there. You should be able to put the bushing around the
sleeve and push them in together if it was loose. Be cautious and drive the
pin out of the top by inserting a drift from the bottom, inspect and replace
with a new one if necessary. If there is still too much play in that
throughout arm, seems there is always a bit of play, the culprit may be an
ovalised hole in the throughout arm. You might try using two of those
corrugated selves together if that is the case and see if that works. If all
else fails or if you don't mind, pull the trans only and inspect. You may
need to take the throughout arm to a shop and have the hole sleeved if it is
really bad. Best of luck.
Rob Getzinger