Valve seals, combustion chambers, crank pulleys & caliper seals

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve seals, combustion chambers, crank pulleys & caliper seals
From: J Constantino <jjcon2@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 23:22:03 -0700 (PDT)
One of my 6 cyl engines (KD53xxx vintage) has single
valve springs and a rubber valve seal, part of the
cumbustion chamber is flush with the deck.

My other engine (KD78xxx vintage) has dual valve
springs, no valve seal (no room to fit one????) and
the entire cumbustion chamber is recessed .07 above
the deck.  The head looks like it was milled too,
judging from the casting thickness.

Are these normal factory variations? Or was my later
head cut on?

 Id like to put valve seals under the dual valve
springs, but I dont see them listed in the VB
catalog.  Anyone done this?

Noticed my crank pulleys are not the same diameter.
The pulley on the later engine is a bit bigger in OD
than the vibration damper just behind it.  The pulley
on the earlier engine is probably 1.5 or 1.75
smaller in dia. than the vibration damper. I guess
Triumph did this to speed the alternator and/or  water
pump up on the later cars??

BTW, I just noticed in my Pegasus racing catalog (98
vintage), they list Girling rebuild parts.  Of
interest was a Cross Feed Seal, .48OD x .075thk.
$2.  I think its the one that goes between the
caliper halves that you arent supposed to split
apart. pn3595
800-742-0484    pegasus@execpc.com
NFI
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/