Weber HELP!!!

To: alemen@mail.ftconnect.com, JWeber@daroost.com, reid.w.simmons@intel.com,
Subject: Weber HELP!!!
From: Bradley D Richardson <bradrichardson@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:25:17 -0700
I need the collective brilliance of these lists.

Have a 79 Spit, (really a 80 as made Nov 79), having some troubles.
Electronic ignition, valves adjusted, new plugs.  No overdrive, Weber
Carb.

The choke doesn't work.  The 'butterfly plates', (sorry, don't know their
real name) under the air filter are always fully opened, even when the
car hasn't been ran for a couple of days.  So, starting the car is REAL
hard.  We can hold the butterfly plates closed, and the car will start
right up, but they immediately PUSH back to the fully opened position,
(and then obviously sometimes the car immediately dies unless you give it
enough gas until it warms up a little).  If we don't hold the plates
closed, you have to pump the gas several times to get it to start, and
after 5-6 attempts, it will start, (backfiring out the top of the Carb if
it has been more than 4-5 days since the last startup done this way, it
doesn't backfire out the top of the Carb if you start it up less than 4-5
days later, or if you manually 'close' the butterfly plates).

In addition, I'm getting LOUSY gas mileage, (something like 15 MPG), and
even when warmed up there is a 'hesitation' when you rev up the engine
(neutral or driving).  Emissions/smog is unknown at this time, haven't
taken it thru DEQ yet.

Those are the symptoms.

I'm figuring I need the Carb rebuilt/adjusted, and a friend in Portland
(John Weber, [believe it or not for that last name], simply a GREAT
guy!!!), is going to help me, as I know little or nothing about Carbs.
Anything else we should check?  Anything special we should be on the look
out for when working on the Carb?  Anything I've missed?

Specifics on the Carb.  Weber sitting on a Cannon 2804 intake manifold.
I'm NOT sure, but it appears to be a DGV (it's similar, but not exactly
like the DGV shown in the latest Victoria British catalog SG34, page 23.
How do I tell if it really is a DGV?).

2 'barrels', and embedded in the casting it says "Weber", and "Made in
Italy".  On the front diaphragm(?) round plastic cover, it says "1543".
The screwed on plaque says "Weber", "72HF  KB", and "B3D12".  Hell, I
can't even figure out if it's an electric choke or a water choke.  I
think I've figured out it's not a manual choke.

HELP!!!  And THANKS.

Brad