Stainless trim ( RE: Bowie MD show - return )

To: "'BillG'" <wrgingerich@qwest.net>, Spitlist
Subject: Stainless trim ( RE: Bowie MD show - return )
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 16:27:08 +0200
Bill

Underneath picture 1.4 ( if I remember correctly ) in the Spitfire & GT 6
guide to originality ( by John T. ) it states that early Spitfires (
presumably Mk 1's & 2's ) had stainless steel trim in the windshield rubber
, which was later ( presumably from Mk 3's ) replaced with cheaper plastic
items .
Not sure of exact change dates , but could look into it if you'd like .

I have been searching a while now for the correct stainless steel trim set ,
but unfortunately it seems to be pretty scarce . One of the USA listers
offered a set to me a while back , but unfortunately I couldn't raise the
funds in time .

Not sure if TR 4's used stainless steel trim or plastic , but if it's
stainless it could also be used in early Spitfires ( Mk 1 - Mk 3 ) since
they shared the same windshield , rubber and frame .  May be worth looking
into .

Kind regards .
Chris de Wet .
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .
Cell 0839989744 , Office 012-3398071 , Home 012-2591129 .

'56 TR 3 ( TS 10795 ) + '64 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 ( FC 25680 ) .

Triumph Sports Car Club of South Africa membership number : 2117
Triumph Sports Car Club ( Pretoria Centre ) membership number : 356 .

Projects ( sadly for sale to fund TR3 restoration ) :
'62 Herald 1200 Coupe , '65 Herald 12/50 ( convertible ) ,
'63 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 , '66 Spitfire 4 Mk 2 .