Re: Squaretail rear lighting *improvements*

To: "Barry Schwartz" <bschwart@pacbell.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Squaretail rear lighting *improvements*
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:22:35 -0400
reflectors out.
> What a difference!  Brightest 1156 tail lamps this car has probably had
> since new! Now I realize that the cleaning helped somewhat, but the
biggest
> result I am sure came from the removal of the degraded reflectors.  Now
I'm
> not entirely sure why these are installed (looks like a recipe for
eventual
> failure.  Painted [definitely not chromed] plastic right next to a hot
> bulb

Kinda Funny- The Herald series started with a bare bulb forward of a
reflective metal backing, with a lens mounted magnifying fresnel lens- like
a miniature light house lens!

The later models had an elevated bulb, with a small concave disk reflector,
and vertical lines in the plastic- no magnifying lens.

Problem is mixing the lenses and bases- putting the earlier lens on the
later base results in melted magnifiers(too close to upper, turn signal,
bulb) and putting the later lens on the earlier base means a dimmer
taillamp!

Scott