Re: Bowie MD show - return

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bowie MD show - return
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:46:13 -0700 (PDT)
I thought I heard someone yell at me!
I slowed down because I thought "Damn. I hope someone
isn't yelling to warn me that my exhaust is about to
drop off, or that I'm losing a wheel."
But I couldn't hear what (you) had said, and I figured
"Ah, it probably wasn't directed at me anyhow...drunk
bastards."

The vendors were pretty hard up this year each one was
like "Make me an offer", before you even could step up
to see what they had. I got a temp gauge (I needed a
chrome bezel for to put on the oil gauge) for $5. A
couple times they'd ask "What do you need?" I was like
"Ah, I'm not really looking for anything specific. I
figure I won't know if I need it until I see it." A
couple of times I thought I'd found some Vandervell
bearings for my engine(s). But there were only a
couple of broken sets or boxes that had questionable
identifying series numbers.

I agree about the C'types. I thought the one over by
the XK120's was a "D", but I'm not really up on Jag's.
I was mulling about the TVR's. I've started to take a
shine to the Griffiths and Vixens. I didn't see whitey
there. I buzzed through the B's with hardly a glance
(THERE WERE SO MANY B's! But I assumed you took
Greenie since I didn't see Whitey there). Speaking of
'so many'. The Triumphs were out in force, weren't
they? I counted 18 TR6's! There must have been atleast
10 spitfires. And the TR2's and 3's were insane! And
there were 5 more (incl. a pink one) parked in-line on
the side road from where I drove past you.

I know the field wasn't very large, but I must say
that the quality of the cars keeps increasing every
year. There were very few daily drivers (atleast ones
that weren't meticulously kept). All of the cars on
the field were impressive. Picking winners must have
been pretty difficult.

And you're right, I don't remember seeing any midgets,
now that I think about it. Of course, I closed my eyes
as I RAN through the MG area. I like how they
segregate the Triumphs and the MG's by...um...THE
LAKE. And the $8,500 for that patchwork Bugeye, in the
original "battleship primer gray"? SHeeeyah! I cought
that too. Didn't it say something like "Best offer
OVER 8,500"? I thought about leaving a note that said
"I'd like to pay you $12,000 for this car. call me to
talk." and then not leave a phone number. But I'm not
sadistic. It's nice to know that people keep their
goals high.  Did you see that freshly painted red 1500
that was for sale? And the GT6 too...Man, I wish I had
$2,500-$3,500 burning a hole in my pocket. I can't
believe people let Triumphs go for so little. And
someone will want $14,000 for a 1980's jaguar,
increadible.

It's nice to know that you had a thought about pegging
me in the head with an empty pack of cigarettes. I see
how it is now.  The problem with going to those shows
is you see how nice everyone's cars are and you get a
bug up your butt about working on your own car, so I
hot footed it home to do a few things on the spitfire
that I'd been putting off.

Did you see the Cobra repro parked on the street? Was
I  wrong for wanting to get a spray can and paint
"Wannabe" on the car?

-Terry
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/