Re: 1 Million + 2 Questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1 Million + 2 Questions
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:42:14 -0400
>From: Johnnie Blaze <johnblaze@vrk11.com>
>
>Hello all,
>
>I am a brand-new baby to the LBC world, and though I love my car I fear my
>nascent stage coupled with an insatiable urge to meddle with things

And that is how it should be!  B-)

>will
>spell trouble for my little spit ... so I turn to you, and ask for
>forgiveness for the many questions to follow :)

Welcome to spitfire ownership!

<snipped some questions that I can't answer!>

>In R2 C3, there is a picture of my Left Front Suspension, if you look
>closely you can see that the Rack Boot is severely decrepit.  What would be
>the best way to go about replacing this boot?

Easy enough.  You can get a boot kit for about $20 from the usual major
suppliers.  Knock out the tie rod end, count the number of turns to
remove it (for alignment)and remove the lock nut.  Unclamp the boot
and pull it off the steering rack.  (And now for my favorite words)
Installation is the reverse of removal.  You will probably have to get
a professional alignment done at some point...

>The next picture R4 C3 shows a close up of the exhaust headers with a
>threaded tube attachment?? I have no idea what this could be used for.

Air pump or EGR valve.  While required by many states emmissions laws,
it is not atypical to have it missing.  Most PO's won't bother with
emmissions stuff when fitting the headers.

>The fourth image in R4 C4 shows the overflow bottle for the coolant
>system. If you look closely you'll see that there is no sealant so there
>can be no vacuum ? Is this a problem, and should I seal this up air tight?

If the coolant in the bottle is covering up the end of the hose, it
won't suck air, it'll suck coolant.  An airtight lid is not needed
needed (or recommended).

>PS: if anyone is feeling brave, could you explain to me the use of the
>carbon canisters (if thats what they are) in R2 C1.

Emmissions reasons.  In theory they absorb the evaporations from the
gas tank when parked and are then sucked into the carb and burned when
the car is running.

Good luck!

Greg Rowe