1 Million + 2 Questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 1 Million + 2 Questions
From: Johnnie Blaze <johnblaze@vrk11.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:10:30 -0600 (MDT)
Hello all,

I am a brand-new baby to the LBC world, and though I love my car I fear my
nascent stage coupled with an insatiable urge to meddle with things will
spell trouble for my little spit ... so I turn to you, and ask for
forgiveness for the many questions to follow :)

To make things easier I have taken lots of pictures of the engine to
better clarify my queries, as my explanation of the part will most likely
befuddle you rather than clarify .. so here comes the onslaught

The pictures of my engine can be seen at:

http://www.vrk11.com/spitfire

Ohhhh boy I feel bad about this but here goes.

Ok in R1 (Row 1) C1 (Column 1) is a picture of my Weber Carb with the
filter off.  I believe this is a DGV Carb? Can anyone recommend a good
reference manual/book/website on tuning these boys... my spit has a slight
backfire problem and I am assuming its a function of either the carb being
incorrectly adjusted or the muffler which has seen better days (rust).
Though I have noticed that the backfire only happens when depressing the
clutch ???

In R2 C3, there is a picture of my Left Front Suspension, if you look
closely you can see that the Rack Boot is severely decrepit.  What would be
the best way to go about replacing this boot?

Ohhh boy R4 has problems :) in picture R4 C2, better seen in R5 C1, there
is an open tube which has apparently deposited some material over the
years on the exhaust headers .. this looks abnormal to me .. any ideas?

The next picture R4 C3 shows a close up of the exhaust headers with a
threaded tube attachment?? I have no idea what this could be used for.

The fourth image in R4 C4 shows the overflow bottle for the coolant
system. If you look closely you'll see that there is no sealant so there
can be no vacuum ? Is this a problem, and should I seal this up air tight?

Thats it for now.. I'm sure the deeper I get into the workings of this car
the more I will badger everyone, but seriously, thanks for being here.
I've been watching the list for a week or so, and seen various peoples
names here, posted in magazines and such, and think you all to be very
knowledgeable and kind in disseminating that knowledge. The old buddhist
saying of it 'being hard to not resent a beginner' doesn't seem to apply.

Well thanks again

Chad M. Larsen (JohnBlaze)
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1979 Triumph Spitfire (parts car)

PS: if anyone is feeling brave, could you explain to me the use of the
carbon canisters (if thats what they are) in R2 C1.