Re: four thrust washers

To: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: four thrust washers
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:59:46 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff,
I've only worked with the 4 and 6 cylinders used in
Spitfires, GT6, Heralds, and such, but I've never seen
one fitted with 4 thrust washers from the factory.

Instructions for fitting 4 thrust washers are
available on several sites. Pinning them so that they
will not drop out when worn is also worth a look.

I wonder if it's feasable to rig up a 'worn thrust
washer' alarm. This could be an electrical contact,
perhaps an old generator brush, that would be securely
clamped behind the flywheel. The entire crankshaft and
flywheel moves forward when the clutch pedal is
depressed, the amount depending on how much clearance
exists. The sensor contact would be securely mounted,
with clearance to the backside of the flywheel set to
the maximum clearance allowed. It would make contact
only when the wear clearance was too great, perhaps
illuminating a lamp, or sounding an audible alert.
In fact, this could be set up at the front of the
motor using the front pulley, eliminating the need to
get inside the motor. It would have to be clamped to
the block itself, not the frame, since the motor jumps
about on it's rubber mounts.

Almost all of the thrust loading comes from when the
clutch pedal is depressed. The actual amount of force
depends on the particular pressure plate fitted. Heavy
duty units have stronger springs to provide more
clamping force on the clutch disk, and so more loading
must be borne by the thrust washers. Otherwise, there
is almost no loading at all.

The point being that you really only need to fit 3
thrust washers, two on the flywheel side, one on the
frontside.

Carter

http://buzz.yahoo.com/