motor motor part four

To: (Recipient list suppressed)
Subject: motor motor part four
From: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:21:19 -0500
I finally got around to testing compression.  Curiosity drove me to test
the old motor, too.

The old motor is the motor I took out of my car, presumably it's a 77
motor, cuz the car is supposed to be a 77.

The old motor is the motor I got from John Smith in Cincy; he tells me it
is a 73 motor with a 75 head.

Anyway, here are the results.  what do you think they tell us?  I think
they say the top end (head, etc) are bad on the old motor and good on the
new one.

Old motor
1 - 140 lbs.
3 -  91

Wet test (with a few squirts of oil)

New motor
Dry test

Wet test

I also test the oil pressure.  0 in the old motor, 10 psi in the new
one.  I'm being optimistic and thinking that the low number for the new one
is not necessarily bad, since (if i remember correctly) the spit motors
have a sever dropoff in oil pressure at low rpms.

I tested these by turning the motor with the starter.  I'd say that
qualifies as low rpms.

Thanks.

Jeff "Two Motors" Gruber