Re: [triumph_herald] How to recognise a small crank...

To: "Herald List" <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] How to recognise a small crank...
From: "Suzie" <Suzie_Bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:40:48 +0100
Suzie wrote:
> is there an easy way of confirming whether I'm actually
> getting a small crank engine, as in the FD series for a MkIII rather than
> the later ones used in the Mk IVs.

John Kipping replied:
> Look at the pulley nut, the one that is not much over an inch is small
> crank, the one nearly two inches is Mk IV.
> If the centre of the driven plate has broken then you probably have a bent
> engine back plate, this must either be straightened (not easy) or replaced
> (all Spitfires use the same one) so that it doesn't happen again.

Thanks, John. Guy tells me he'll be able to figure it out now when we do
collect it. Also he's going to check out the back plate, but says it seemed
ok on first inspection.

Just curious as to your opinion about something, (or from anyone else on the
lists with thoughts on the subject.) I'm getting the engine from Quiller,
they seemed to have the best price and said they'd have one for me quickly
but so far we've been let down the last two weekends as it wasn't ready. I
had originally hoped to get one from Canley Classics but was told they don't
do FD engines now which surprised me. I haven't used Quiller before for much
more than odd bits and pieces but I have heard good things about them. Is it
just me? I seem to jinx everything, but I didn't expect it to take 3 weeks
or more to get a short engine ready for collection. Apparently they're
waiting on delivery of the pistons so I know everyone's at the mercy of
their
own suppliers but I'm just impatient to get BB back running properly. Have I
just been unlucky with timing and do you think I will get a good'un from
them?

Just for info, this link will show you just what Baby Blue decided to do to
her clutch: http://triumphsouth.20m.com/images/misc/Clutch.jpg

Suzie