Boot-lids

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Boot-lids
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 05:53:06 +0100
Dear All,

As I mentioned earlier, I ordered a painted second-hand boot-lid from
the Spitfire Graveyard a week or so ago.   Well, it arrived yesterday.
I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind the painting, since they
had only painted the top, not the sides or the underside.   They had
done no preparation (the outline of the original decal is still visible
under the paint), and they hadn't bothered to treat the few areas of
surface rust on the underside.   Nevertheless, the thing is infinitely
better than the one I had on Carly, and for only 65 quid, I'm not
complaining.

The amazing thing is how easy it is to swap boot-lids - I did the whole
job (including the lock mechanism) in 25 minutes, in my lunch-hour.
Given that it took me four hours to replace the rear bumper last
weekend, all I can say is that I wish all jobs on Carly were as
straightforward!

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"