Cylinder boring & cylinder sleeving

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cylinder boring & cylinder sleeving
From: "Bill Grego" <wgregory@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:57:40 -0400
I worked in an Automotive Machine Shop for 20 years and and then
owned my own for 22 years. State of the art cylinder boring bars can bore in
one cut/pass up to .060 of an inch. Let's say we have a 4.00 inch bore
cylinder and we want to bore out the cylinder for.040 oversize pistons. I
would bore the cylinder 4.038 oversize. This would allow .002 for finish
honing. After honing out the .002 we would have a finished bore of 4.040.
Setting up the machine for this cylinder, boring the cylinder and hone
finishing would take about 15 minutes.

Now we are going to put a cast iron sleeve in this 4.000 inch bore cylinder.
A common size cylinder sleeve has a wall thickness of 3/32 of an inch or
decimal .09375. We have to double the wall thickness to get the over
bore/diameter size. So 2 times .09375 =.1875. We have to bore our 4.00 in.
cylinder out to 4.1875 less .003 in for a press fit between the sleeve and
cylinder wall. We would make our first bore cut 4.060. The second bore cut
4.120. The third bore cut 4.180. The fourth bore cut would be a very light
cut to 4.1872. We would end up with a press fit of .003. After the sleeve is
installed it needs to be bored out and finish honed to 4.000
Putting in one sleeve would take almost as long as boring out 4 cylinders.
Also sleeves are not dropped in. They are a press fit with some exceptions
such as wet and flanged sleeves. I hope I explained this in an easy to follow
way. This
is not meant to criticize anyone, just to add my comments.
Wm G