Re: Tuning a Weber

To: "David A. Schenck" <DavidASchenck@home.com>
Subject: Re: Tuning a Weber
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:35:18 -0400
Hi David,

You didn't say which operating mode is running rich. I'll assume that it is the
idle, as it is the only thing you can adjust. The idle mixture screw is near the
base of the carb, on a slight angle towards the rear. If you are looking at the
carb from the right side of the car, it will be on the left, towards the outside
of the car. Adjust the screw all the way in until it seats. Then back it out 2
and 1/2 turns. Start the car and let it warm up to operating temp. Turn the
adjustment screw in (clockwise) until the engine starts to sputter. Back it out
until it starts to run smooth. Then add about 1/8 of a turn.

I have an O2 sensor on my car with a DGV and have found that the adjustment goes
from a lean condition to a rich condition within an 1/8 of a turn. Being on the
slightly rich side is better than being too lean.

If the rich condition is during normal driving condition, take the air filter
off and check the position of the choke plates when the engine is hot. The
plates should be wide open. A partially closed position will enrichen the
mixture.

If you are still rich, go to Paul Tegler's web site
(http://www.teglerizer.com/dcoe/index.html#The DGV numbers) make a note of the
jets then go through your car to see if they match. I have my car set up like
the Midget 1500 Specification with the exception of the idle jet. Where Paul
uses a 55 primary idle jet, I needed a 60 to be able to get the idle mixture
screw to work. I do have one problem. The lowest idle I can get is 1000 rpm.
Since changing to the 60 idle jet, I have also reduce the pre-load on the
secondary throttle plate. That reduce the idle some and enriched the mixture. I
will re-try the 55 idle jet to see if I can slow it down an still adjust the
idle mixture.

--
Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire