Someone asked about carburetion...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Someone asked about carburetion...
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 23:58:02 -0600
... with the following:

 know Kastner used the stock strombergs when he did
the 145bhp and the 165bhp engines.  WHy didn't he try
the SU's.  Plus, why not triple su's or triple
strombergs like my brother put on his TR6?
Kas' answer to me follows, after I suggested that the above might not
have conformed to SCCA rules of the time:

Kas writes:

You are correct, it was not allowed in the SCCA regulations   AND  those
were the carburetors that were furnished stock and it was the plan to
help
those with their street cars not just the racers.  Kas

And that is the word from the original master. <smile> As I suggested to
someone else, a close look at the competition guides, written by Kas and
his successors, suggested a lot of work which could be done for little
or no cost, at home, by enthusiasts without resorting to expensive
aftermarket items. Such was the nature of amateur racing a few decades
ago.

Cheers, all.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.