Re: Front Brake Problem (locking up)

To: <john@triumphspitfire.com>, Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front Brake Problem (locking up)
From: Dean Rayner <dean_rayner@mac.com>
Date: 01 Jun 2001 15:28:02 +0100
On Friday, June 1, 2001 2:26 pm, john@triumphspitfire.com wrote:
>I give up...I'm going to ask advise.

>I took the calipers off, and tore them down. The pistons had some minor
>pitting so I rebuilt them knowing it would probably not fix it. Didn't. New
>calipers.
>
>Had trouble bleeding (champaign bubbles in fluid) and pedal never felt like
>it should but good enough to test. Same problem.
>
>This last time, while they were still locked up, I opened the bleeder and
>fluid shot out leading me to believe it to be before the
>calipers.

Your problem sounds like the interior of the flex hoses have collapsed. Holding
fluid in the calipers, hence the fluid shooting out under pressure.

As for bleeding, if you have replaced/rebuilt the calipers, air can get trapped
behind the piston that is not next to the bleed nipple.  Try forcing this
piston all the way back into it's cylinder, holding it there with a clamp and a
piece of wood and bleeding the brakes again.  You may have to repeat this a few
times to expel all the air.

If you have a workshop manual, look at the cross sectional drawing of a brake
caliper. It may make my descriptions a little more clear!

Dean Rayner