Front Brake Problem (locking up)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Front Brake Problem (locking up)
From: john@triumphspitfire.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 09:26:34 -0400
I give up...I'm going to ask advise.

I recently got my car out of storage. I did all the usual maintenance
(bleeding, rebuilt mastercylinder due to leaks, etc.) and took the car out
for a test. After about 1 mile the front calipers gradually locked up, it
was as if I had one foot on the brakes and the longer I would drive the
harder I would push. Car got harder and harder to keep up to speed and now
smoke coming from left front. Let it sit for about a half hour (let them
cool) and they worked as before.

I took the calipers off, and tore them down. The pistons had some minor
pitting so I rebuilt them knowing it would probally not fix it. Didn't. New
calipers.

Had trouble bleeding (champaign bubbles in fluid) and pedal never felt like
it should but good enough to test. Same problem.

This last time, while they were still locked up, I opened the bleeder and
fluid shot out leading me to believe it to be before the calipers.

Givens: both calipers are effected but left slightly more than right. Rears
are uneffected.
Any ideas before I start taking all the lines out?

John Goethert
Knoxville, Tennessee
john@triumphspitfire.com
http://www.triumphspitfire.com
76 Spitfire, 71 GT6, 75 Spit parts car, 90 Miata